Dedicated musicians in 7th through 12th grade are encouraged to submit auditions for the youth symphony.
All traditional symphony instruments (and saxophones) are eligible for the youth symphony. We do not audition musicians on piano.
2020 -2021 Season Auditions:
|New Musicians||Current CVYS Musicians|
|Fall 2020||No auditions necessary||No auditions necessary|
|Spring 2021 (or beyond)||Membership requires a video audition||2019-2020 Members are automatically accepted|
Sign up for the 2020 Virtual Experience to join CVYS for this fall.
SPRING 2021 (or beyond)
Auditions will be considered for new membership when in-person rehearsals can resume. Current CVYS members are considered accepted.
Auditions for the 2020-2021 season are to be video-taped and submitted by uploading to YouTube and providing a link to your video on the online registration form. Your registration form and video are due no later than 5:00 pm on Feb. 1, 2021.
CURRENT CVYS MUSICIANS
Participating in the Chippewa Valley Youth Symphony
The Chippewa Valley Youth Symphony is a full orchestra comprised of student musicians in 7th-12th grade who demonstrate a musical ability to perform at an advanced level. Students will enjoy the enrichment and challenge of performing with other serious and dedicated musicians.
When in-person rehearsals are permitted, the youth symphony rehearses on Tuesdays 5:50-7:50 pm, from September through mid-December, and from late January through mid-May. Rehearsals are on the UWEC campus in Eau Claire. Tuition is $150 per semester (subject to change).
How to Prepare for Your Audition
Brass, Woodwind & String Audition Preparation
- 3-5 minute solo, or an excerpt from something you are currently working on that demonstrates your musicianship
- one scale of your choosing in up to three octaves (if possible)
Percussion Audition Preparation
- short etude, solo or excerpt on snare drum from something you are working on that demonstrates your musicianship
- short etude, solo or excerpt on a mallet instrument of your choosing from something you are working on
- one scale on a mallet instrument of your choosing
*Audition at your scheduled time.
*You will be sent the results of your audition via email.
Video Auditions: Please prepare and submit a recording of performance of the above elements.
A tip for general auditions:
1. Take your time and breathe. We want to hear you perform your best.
2. Select a solo, etude, or excerpt that highlights your strengths as a musician.
3. Perform scales with consistent rhythm and tone throughout the range of the instrument.