Fall chair placements will take place on September 11, 2018 during the Fall Parent meeting. Please download and practice the music for your instrument in preparation for your chair placement audition by clicking on the link below.
Prepare only the music excerpts as notes below. Be sure to prepare BOTH pieces as noted (except saxophones). Euphonium players should prepare the Trombone part.
2018-2019 Fall Auditions - September 6 & 7, 2018, 4:30-6:30 pm. REGISTRATION NOW OPEN!
Dedicated musicians in 7th through 12th grade are encouraged to audition for the youth symphony.
All traditional symphony instruments (and saxophones) are eligible for the youth symphony. We do not audition musicians on piano.
The youth symphony rehearses on Tuesdays 5:50-7:50 pm, from September through mid-December, and from late January through mid-May. Rehearsals are on the UWEC campus in Eau Claire. Tuition is $150 per semester (subject to change).
All musicians have the option to audition in person or by preparing a video recording. Auditions for the 2018-2019 season may be video-taped and submitted by uploading to YouTube and providing a link to your video on the online registration form. Your registration form and video are due no later than 5:00 pm on September 6, 2018. Please refer to the auditions page for video audition requirements.
Participating in the Chippewa Valley Youth Symphony
The Chippewa Valley Youth Symphony is a full orchestra comprised of student musicians in 7th-12th grade who demonstrate a musical ability to perform at an advanced level. Students will enjoy the enrichment and challenge of performing with other serious and dedicated musicians.
Full symphony auditions are held in April each year for the upcoming season.
How to Prepare for Your Audition
Brass, Woodwind & String Audition Preparation
- 3-5 minute solo, or an excerpt from something you are currently working on that demonstrates your musicianship
- one scale of your choosing in up to three octaves (if possible)
Percussion Audition Preparation
- short etude, solo or excerpt on snare drum from something you are working on that demonstrates your musicianship
- short etude, solo or excerpt on a mallet instrument of your choosing from something you are working on
- one scale on a mallet instrument of your choosing
*Audition at your scheduled time.
*You will be sent the results of your audition via email.
Video Auditions: Please prepare and submit a recording of performance of the above elements.
A tip for general auditions:
1. Take your time and breathe. We want to hear you perform your best.
2. Select a solo, etude, or excerpt that highlights your strengths as a musician.
3. Perform scales with consistent rhythm and tone throughout the range of the instrument.