SPRING 2022 AUDITION INFORMATION
Students who were part of CVYS in the fall 2021 season are automatically accepted but must participate in auditions for seating purposes. Students auditioning for the first time must also participate in auditions.
Dedicated musicians in 7th through 12th grade are encouraged to submit auditions for the youth symphony.
All traditional symphony instruments (and saxophones) are eligible for the youth symphony. We do not audition musicians on piano.
-All auditions are youtube video recordings
-Students should sign up for auditions on CVYS website using registration form.
-Auditions will last approximately 7 minutes.
SCALES: (1 Major scale & 1 Minor scale of your choice)
-Student should be prepared to play at least 2 octaves
-Student should play in a consistent tempo
SOLO/ETUDE: (4 to 5 minute solo of your choice)
-Contrasting tempos/styles encouraged
-Two contrasting movements acceptable
-No piano accompaniment
PERCUSSIONISTS: (Separate audition requirement info will be available upon registration)
AUDITION VIDEO INSTRUCTIONS
1. Review audition requirements above
“Hello, my name is __________.”
“I attend school at ____________ and I am in _________grade."
For woodwinds/brass/strings: “I will be playing the ______ major scale and the _______ minor scale.
For woodwinds/brass/strings: “The piece I am performing is/are… (state the names of the piece and composer."
5. Once you’ve recorded yourself, label/name the video like this: CVYS Spring Audition 21-22 Instrument, Last name, First name.
6. Change settings to unlisted: You will also have to change the video’s privacy settings from “Public” to “Unlisted,” which is done in the field below where you renamed it. You will want to have the privacy settings of your video set as “Unlisted,” not “Private” or “Public.” In this way, CVYS will be able to share the link with the professional judges reviewing players of your instrument. Only our audition team with this “Unlisted” link will be able to access your audition. Change privacy settings to "unlisted"
A tip for general auditions:
1. Take your time and breathe. We want to hear you perform your best.
2. Select a piece that highlights your strengths as a musician.
3. Perform scales with consistent rhythm and tone throughout the range of the instrument.